Head teacher and Deputy Head

Governor Minutes

Holy Trinity CE Primary School

 

 

Holy Trinity CE Primary School

 

Governors’ meeting (GB)

Quorum (one half of the number of governors in post)     Yes/No : YES

Chair: H. James

Clerk: L. Prendergast (LP)

Date of Meeting: 3rd February 2014 - 6.15pm

Attendance

Name

Governor*

Associate Member*

Present/Absent/Apologies

Harry James (HJ)

ü

 

Present

Penny Cox (Head) (PC)

P

 

Present

Marie Ashton (MA)

ü

 

Present

Suzie Durrant (SD)

ü

 

Present

Trevor Patterson (TP)

ü

 

Present

Geraldine Stride (GS)

ü

 

Present

Helen Lascaris (HL)

P

 

Present

Morag Lucas (ML)

P

 

Present

Lucy Ashby (LA)

 

P

Present

Robert Hawker (RH)

P

 

Present

Tony Tresigne (AT)

P

 

Present

Niki Crookdake (NC)

P

 

Present

Michele Marcus (MM)

 

P

Apologies (away)

Claude Scott (CS)

P

 

Present

Andrew Gallini (AG)

   

Apologies (unwell)

Kate Chalker-Wye (KCW)

P

 

Present

Mrs Lexi Wakefield was present as an observer.

Mr Daniel O’Sullivan and Miss Hollie Morgan were present to give presentations.

* Tick box where appropriate

Item

Minute

Person(s) responsible for action (if any)

Date to be completed

1.

Prayers were led by TP

   

2.

There were no declarations of interest.

   

3.

HJ welcomed SD to the governing body.

   

 

4.

 

Able, Gifted and Talented presentation.

HJ (named governor) and Daniel O’Sullivan (year 6 teacher and subject co-ordinator) reported that teaching staff identify more able children. They are tracked as all children are throughout the year and given challenging targets to stretch them. This includes all subjects, not just maths and literacy.

A group of year 6 children have just completed a project working with some PhD students at Cambridge University and had “graduated” that day.

There are also weekly celebration assemblies to recognise achievement both within school and at children’s extra curricular activities.

A number of examples of where children were given extra challenge were highlighted such as; the school newspaper, the Head Teacher’s Award, various sports competitions, taking part in the O2 choir event, performing at the Rose Theatre, deputy Mayor at the pupil parliament.

Modern Foreign Languages (MFL) presentation.

Hollie Morgan (year 3 teacher and subject co-ordinator) gave a presentation detailing how Spanish is taught throughout the school.

   

5.

Minutes of the 25th November meeting.

These were agreed and signed.

   

6.

Matters arising.

Item 4; Admissions Policy. The consultation process has ended and comment was received from the Diocese regarding the sibling versus foundation criteria order of ranking. After discussion it was agreed to keep the foundation criteria above siblings for 2015-16 admissions and monitor the applications for future years. Policy agreed.

PC said there had been discussion with the Diocese about legislation stating children should stay all day in reception from entry. Will keep the GB informed.

Item 7; There is a report about the Early Years Foundation Stage Profile in the curriculum minutes.

   

7.

Head teacher’s report.

 

There was considerable discussion about the situation in the school’s SEN provision (known as `the POD’). Two children were demonstrating very challenging behaviour and the school had a number of strategies to deal with it.

Q) What happens when a child is excluded?              

A) It depends on how long the exclusion is. In respect of a child that had been excluded recently, work had been sent home. The local authority were informed and if the child has a statement their case worker or family support worker would also be informed.

Q) Has having 5 children instead of the maximum of 3 exacerbated the problems within the provision recently?

A) PC thought that it almost certainly had.

Q) How did we end up with 5 children in the provision?

A) The SEN panel decided to place the children here. The behaviour of the children in the provision hadn’t always been as extreme as some have displayed currently. PC said that she couldn’t praise the staff in the provision enough for the way that they had been working recently in very challenging and difficult situations.

Q) Is the current situation having an effect on those other children with additional needs that aren’t part of the provision?

A) Yes, possibly at the moment. PC having ongoing discussions with the Senco to address this.

Q) Will we go over capacity in the provision again?

A) No, this is not something that PC would like to happen.

Q) Is there was anything that the governing body could do to help support PC and the school and to request alternative provision for at least one child. A) It was agreed that HJ & GS would compose a letter on behalf of the GB to Nick Whitfield (Head of Education) and Simon James (Head of SEN) at Richmond as a matter of urgency with a deadline for reply. Copy to be sent to govs.

PC also requested a letter of thanks to be sent to all staff in the provision stating thanks from the GB for their work.

Q) Re; raising standards in writing. Why are children working in mixed ability pairs?

A) Research has shown that for the maximum benefit in improving literacy using social groups that know each other works well and raises attainment overall. This will, of course, be monitored.

HJ / GS

HJ

Asap

asap

8.

Chair’s report.

HJ requested that Chairs of committees check the terms of reference and let him know of any additions or changes that need to be made to the governors plan.

Chairs of cttes.

Next mtg

9.

Committee reports;

Finance committee. HJ sent the final version of the financial audit. Requested that any comments are sent to him before the next finance committee meeting in March as it has to be approved then.

   

10.

SEF;

PC wants to have a long look at the SEF to make it more reader friendly.

TP left the meeting.

PC

Next mtg

11.

Governor’s Plan.

HJ asked that during committee meetings and training sessions, if any areas for improvement or change are identified to let him know so that they can be added to the plan. It was also suggested that items that are high priority are highlighted.

HJ

Next meeting

12.

Clerk’s update.

Requested the Chairs of committees send clerk 3 sets of recent minutes with examples of challenge, discussion and evidence highlighted. For Ofsted preparation folder.

Chairs of cttes.

Next meeting.

13.

 

LA asked governors email their pen portrait for the website.

AT thanked the school for all of the help and guidance received in preparation for his son’s successful St Paul’s application.

As necessary

asap

14.

Date of next meeting

March 24th at 6.15pm

 

15.

Signed

 

 

Harry James

Chair of Governors

 

 

 

Holy Trinity CE Primary School

 

Governors’ meeting (GB)
Quorum (one half of the number of governors in post) Yes/No : YES
Chair: Gerry Stride Clerk: L. Prendergast (LP)
Date of Meeting: 30th September 2015 - 6.30pm

 


Attendance

 

Name Governor Associate Member Present/Absent/Apologies
Penny Cox (Head) (PC)   Present
Marie Ashton (MA)   Present
Suzie Durrant (SD)   Present
Trevor Patterson (TP)   Present
Geraldine Stride (GS)   Present
Lucy Ashby (LA)  √   Present
Robert Hawker (RH)

  Present
Tony Tresigne (AT)   Present
Niki Crookdake (NC)   Present
Michele Marcus (MM)  √   Present
Claude Scott (CS)   Present
Andrew Gallini (AG)   Present

 

Item

Minute Person(s) responsible for action (if any) Date to be completed
1.

 Prayers were led by TP.

   
2.  Apologies received and accepted from AT, SD and MM – details above.    
3.

 LP was re-appointed as clerk

   
4. Harry James (former Chair) was invited.  He was thanked by GS on behalf of the FGB, staff and whole school community for his hard work over the years. Although not Chair last year, he had played a great part in the strength of the FBG as acknowledged in the recent Ofsted report.  There was a presentation of a bottle of champagne.Declaration of interest forms were distributed and returned during the course of the evening. Forms to be completed by 2 of the governors not present.     
5. Declaration of interest forms were distributed and returned during the course of the evening. Forms to be completed by 2 of the governors not present.  AT & MM  ASAP
6.

LA nominated GS as Chair and MM as Vice Chair.  There were no further nominations and both governors were unanimously elected.

   
7.

Minutes of the 29th June meeting. These were agreed and signed.

   
8.

 Matters arising. Item 7.  There was a new agenda format for this meeting.  GS requested any suggested changes or amendments as govs wished. Item 9.  Dates for sub committee meetings for this academic year have been received by LP for the safeguarding and community cohesion committees. Others to follow asap. 

 All govs.

 

Chairs of cttees.

 As necessary

 

By return.

9.

 Sub-committee terms of reference. These are the same as last year apart from safeguarding health and safety and 1 amendment to be added to finance. All committee ToR’s were agreed with the amendments.

   
10.

 Sub-committee membership. GS felt that it was a great advantage during the Ofsted inspection to have experienced governors in post in committees.  There had been no requests by any governors to change which committees they are on, although any governor can attend any committee meeting as an observer. The committee memberships were agreed.

   
11.

Governor responsibilities. These were agreed with the suggestion that all governors should meet their subject staff co-ordinator twice a year as best practice. 

   
12.

 Code of conduct. No need to for governors to re-sign as it hasn’t changed from last year.  GS to arrange for JL to sign.

 GS  
13.

 Head teacher’s report. PC gave huge thanks for the strength of the governing body including their depth of knowledge and understanding of the school.  She reiterated how important it is to continue to drive forward and use the Ofsted judgement to carry on with confidence.   A primary school from Southampton had already spent the day here this term to see how we work. There is an action plan being put into place about barriers to learning that some children might think they have and how they can be helped to overcome these.  The school improvement partner is very interested in this piece of work. Q)  Why is maths not in the SDP? A)  Although there had been a blip in the year before last’s results, last year’s results were back on track so no focus in the SDP was felt necessary. Q)  With regard to “life without levels”, will there be a number or point that relates to previous levels to use as a baseline / starting point? A)  There are 2 very different systems in place but each child will be given a starting point.  There will be an update on life without levels as an agenda item at the next meeting. Q)  Now that the school has achieved the Outstanding Ofsted rating, what’s next?  How do we keep standards high? A)  There has always been high expectations of excellent teaching and learning and this will continue.  Teachers have their programme of appraisal and targets for their own professional development.  There is a lot of training available, and we have a link with a school in Sussex that needs help and support.  This will highlight some cpd opportunities.  The children will continue to have their “pupil voice” where they can say how they would like the school to move forward.

   
14.

 Chair’s Report. Thanks to all governors that came in for the Ofsted interview – a record number according to the SDBE. Q)  How do we recognise the efforts and talents of staff? A)  A card signed by GS and MM was sent to every member of staff at the end of last term. Subject leaders will be given the opportunity to give a short briefing about their subject if they would like to at a future FGB meeting.

 PC  Will advise teachers.
15.

 Year Plan. This was a work in progress last year and it is on-going.  It is very helpful for agenda planning.  GS to re-send.  Request for govs to email Chair if they notice any omissions, errors etc.

 GS  ASAP
  Sub committee minutes. Personnel; Q)  Why are there still nursery places available? A)  There are currently 2 afternoon places available.  It was thought parents are choosing to use their 15 hours funded place with private nurseries that can give a whole days care.  The places will be filled by siblings in January if not before. Y1 has an additional child making the intake 61 altogether as part of the Fair Access Protocol which all Richmond schools have signed up to.    
16. Training. A reminder to let LP know once any training has been completed.  There is a lot on offer via the SDBE, AfC and GEL.    
17. 

Any other business.

Date of next meeting: Monday 30th Noverber at 6.30pm

   
  Signed Gerry Stride
Chair of Governors