Head teacher and Deputy Head

Governor Minutes

Holy Trinity CE Primary School

 

 

Holy Trinity CE Primary School

 

Governors’ meeting (GB)

Quorum (one half of the number of governors in post)     Yes/No : YES

Chair: H. James

Clerk: L. Prendergast

Date of Meeting: 30th September 2013 - 6.15pm

Attendance

Name

Governor*

Associate Member*

Present/Absent/Apologies

Harry James (HJ)

ü

 

Present

Penny Cox (Head) (PC)

P

 

Present

Marie Ashton (MA)

ü

 

Present

Alex Ridall (AR)

ü

 

Present

Trevor Patterson (TP)

ü

 

Present

Geraldine Stride (GS)

ü

 

Present

Lee Jerwood (LJ)

P

 

Present

Morag Lucas (ML)

P

 

Apologies (visiting family)

Lucy Ashby (LA)

 

P

Present

Robert Hawker (RH)

P

 

Present

Tony Tresigne (AT)

P

 

Present

Niki Crookdake (NC)

P

 

Present

Michele Marcus (MM)

 

P

Present

Claude Scott (CS)

P

 

Present

Andrew Gallini (AG)

   

Present

Kate Chalker-Wye (KCW)

P

 

Present

Mrs Lexi Wakefield was present as an observer.

Mrs Helen Lascaris was present to give an I.T. presentation.

* Tick box where appropriate

Item

Minute

Person(s) responsible for action (if any)

Date to be completed

1.

Prayers were led by TP

   

2.

Declaration of Interest forms were distributed.

   

3.

LP was nominated as Clerk by GS, seconded by NC and elected.

   

 

4.

 

HJ was nominated as Chair by GS, seconded by TP and elected.

GS nominated as Vice Chair by HJ, seconded by NC and elected.

It was noted that LJ had reached the end of his term of office, and thanks was given for all of the hard work he has undertaken.

Helen Lascaris will become the new teacher governor.

   

5.

The governor’s code of practice was adopted.

   

6.

The minutes of the 24th June meeting were agreed and signed.

   

7.

Matters arising.

Item 5. GS has distributed a schedule of proposed visits. The next curriculum meeting is on 11th November. Governor / teacher visit notes to GS before then please.

Item 7. Academy status. HJ to attend a meeting in November and will report back at a future meeting.

Governor survey. Most govs had returned their survey, and some suggestions have already been acted upon.

Item 8. The Pay Policy had been agreed, and distributed to teaching staff. It was agreed that the Appraisal Policy would also become part of the Pay Policy and sits with the personnel committee for review.

Named govs

Before 11/11

8.

Head teacher’s report.

PC distributed an updated version of her report with key performance indicators updated.

Q: How was the figure of 10% of observed lessons to be graded as outstanding decided?

A: This was a figure decided by PC and may be amended in future.

Q: How do we know that the 5R’s (readiness, resilience, resourcefulness, responsibility, reflection) is working?

A: It is hoped that it would be noticeable in the children’s behaviour, work attitude etc.   It will also work differently for different age groups and key stages. Certificates in the juniors will be given to children that have displayed one (or more) of these learning skills.

Q: Key Performance Indicators. 56% of children making 2 sub levels of progress overall in KS2 – is there any national average to compare this with?

A; No, but after talking to other Head teachers, PC thought it was a strong result.

Q; As PC has recently been on Ofsted Inspection training, does she stand by the lesson observation grades and how does this work with the new appraisal / pay policy?

A: The pay award decision in not only based on results of lesson observations, but data, evidence and pupil voice. PC felt the results of the observations would stand following her recent training.

It was noted that although all of the new outside enhancements look fantastic and the children love using them, there had been more scrapes and falls than usual. This was probably due to more children using the pitch and equipment for a longer period of time and also the sand on the pitch needs to be swept / rolled. PC to ask Mr Bell to do this.

PC has asked the school bursar to find out how much it would cost to recruit an extra t.a. for Y6 to the end of the financial year. A vacancy would be advertised if it is financially possible.

PC

PC

ASAP

Next mtg.

9.

Chair’s Report:

An amendment that the earliest we might receive an Ofsted inspection is Summer term 2014, not Autumn 2014 as stated.

   

10.

Committee Reports:

GS requested that all Chairs put a statement pertinent to Ofsted at the top of agendas.

Premises; As there is insufficient lighting in one of the year 1 classrooms, Mr Bell is going to put in some extra, temporary lighting. He has been in contact with Apollo to get details of where to get additional lighting.

Curriculum: 12 Year 6 pupils are taking part in the Brilliant Club, an initiative run by Sussex University.

Personnel; There is an admissions meeting next week to discuss making amendments to our policy for 2015-16 admissions. Any questions or comments should be sent to RH before then.

Named governor reports;

RE:Q: Has SIAMS (Statutory Inspection of Anglican and Methodist Schools) changed their inspection criteria in response to the changes in Ofsted inspections?

A: GS not aware of any changes.

Humanities; Miss Clifton and Miss Norman are now sharing the humanities co-ordinator role. It is being taught in blocks where an entire afternoon is given to history or geography. The sessions are well structured, researched and presented. It has been well received by the children who feel very involved, and achieve a lot. A block takes 3 afternoons and there are three per term.

Science; CS is meeting Miss Demirci on 15th October. There are 4 blocks per term. Science week is from the 17th to 21st March 2014.

All govs

ASAP

11.

Mrs Lascaris gave a computing presentation detailing the changes in the way it is taught in school and how money allocated for extra resources had been spent.

Thanks to Mrs Lascaris, RH and AT for all of their work in this area.

Q: How is computing used as part of lesson observations?

A: If computing had been used as part of the lesson being observed – what was the impact on the lesson?

Mrs Lascaris has carried out specific observations during computing lessons, and advice and training has been given where required.

School website; LA reported that we have a parent that has built and runs the PTA website. She has offered to update and run the school website too, and they will both merge.

It will look the same but be much easier to administer.

   

12.

Govs Plan:

Everything in the autumn has happened or will be completed soon. Targets for pupils will be agreed by the end of November and not 30/09 as stated.

The review of the SEF will be circulated before the next meeting.

HJ

Next mtg

13.

Training;

Please let clerk know if you have attended any training.

Please make every effort to attend the Preparing for Ofsted training at 6.15pm on 13/01/14.

 

   

14.

Clerk’s Update;

Chair’s of committees to forward dates of their meetings for the year.

Please forward a signed copy of committee minutes when agreed at next meeting.

Declaration of Interest forms to be returned by;

Chairs of comms

ML & AT

ASAP

Next mtg

15.

Any other business:

It states on the declaration of interest form that

Agendas of all Governors’ meetings and Governors’ committee meetings should contain the following heading;

“Governors are reminded of their duty to declare any direct or indirect pecuniary interest which may relate to any matter under discussion.”

Please add this as above instructed in future.

 
 

Date of next meeting; Monday 25th November at 6.15pm

 

 
 

Signed;

 

Chair;

 

 

Harry James

 

 

 

 

 

Holy Trinity CE Primary School

 

Governors’ meeting (GB)
Quorum (one half of the number of governors in post) Yes/No : YES
Chair: Gerry Stride Clerk: L. Prendergast (LP)
Date of Meeting: 30th November 2015 - 6.30pm

 


Attendance

 

Name Governor Associate Member Present/Absent/Apologies
Penny Cox (Head) (PC)   Present
Marie Ashton (MA)   Present
Suzie Durrant (SD)   Present
Trevor Patterson (TP)   Present
Geraldine Stride (GS)   Present
Lucy Ashby (LA)  √   Present
Robert Hawker (RH)

  Present
Tony Tresigne (AT)   Apologies (work commitment)
Niki Crookdake (NC)   Present
Michele Marcus (MM)  √   Present
Claude Scott (CS)   Present
Andrew Gallini (AG)   Apologies (daughter unwell)
Joe Lowther (JL)   Present

 

Item

Minute Person(s) responsible for action (if any) Date to be completed
1.

Prayers were led by TP.

   
2. Apologies received and accepted from AT and AG – details above.    
3.

Declaration of Interest.

None

   
4.

Minutes of the 30th September meeting.

These were agreed with the addition of a question in the Head Teacher’s report section. Signed by the Chair.

   
5.

Matters arising;

Item 5.  Still waiting for DoI interest form to be returned by 1 governor.

Item 8.  Still awaiting confirmation of dates from Finance Committee.

 

LP

AT

 

ASAP

ASAP

6.

Head teacher’s report.

Q)  Attendance has dipped by a small percentage.  Is there any reason for this?

A)  Historically, there are always more bugs, viruses etc. at this time of year.  There is also one child with very low attendance.  A number of strategies are being discussed to try to help the child.  There will probably be another dip this half term as a number of families request extra leave to visit family overseas. There was a request to have comparative data locally and nationally in future reports which PC agreed to.   

 PC   Next mtg.
7.

Chair’s Report.

GS has received a few reports from governors having met their teacher counterpart.  There was a request that each governor had met their teacher and submitted a report by the end of the next half term (Feb 2016). There was notification of the junior carol service on 14/12 at 6pm at Holy Trinity Church and the Christmas lunch on 16/12 from 11.30am.  Govs to let LP know if they would be helping and would like to order a lunch.

Q)  What is the timescale regarding becoming multi academy trusts (MAT)?

A)  PC had attended a meeting at SDBE.  Colin Powell is due to meet the regional director which will be followed by another board meeting.  More details should be known early in 2016.

PC represents the Diocese Head teachers in Richmond and is due to meet her counterpart in Kingston.  She is taking a very cautious approach.  Governors will be kept updated and have the chance for a full and frank discussion when more is known.  This could include an extra-ordinary meeting if necessary.  

 LP

 

 

 

 

 

 

PC/GS

 

 

10/12/2015 

 

 

 

 

 

As necessary

 

 

8.

Pupil premium

The pupil premium statement is on the website.  Governors should all ensure that they are familiar with this. LA to have discussion with PC to decide if any more data needs to be added to the website statement.

JL due to attend SDBE training and will seek clarification there. 

 LA & PC

 

JL

 Next mtg

 

ASAP

9.

SDP & SEF

SEF: 

Lots of quotes from the Ofsted report and annual evaluation cycle have been used in the SEF.  There was a request to have a key at the beginning of the document explaining what the judgements (1-4) mean.

SDP:

The senior leadership team (SLT) have looked at the current data and 5 year plan.   Actions, impact and targets are being added throughout the year.  Subject co-ordinators plans are also fed in to the SDP.  Subject governors should ask to look at the action plans when meeting the relevant teacher. 

 PC   Next mtg.
10.

Sub-committee minutes.

The admissions policy for 2017-18 required approval by the FGB.  It was agreed that this would be an agenda item in future.  The policy, previously agreed by personnel and SDBE, was discussed.  The numbering in the notes section needs to be amended and policy re-sent to govs.  RH agreed to do this.

Q)  What are the changes?

A)  Includes fair access protocol, education out of normal (chronological) age group, and additional church groups for foundation applications.

Q)  Do we know how many Christians attend HT?

A)  We have an idea, but we don’t know how many attend church regularly. With the amendments above, the FGB unanimously approved the admissions policy.  GS to notify govs not present in order to be assured of their approval. It will now be sent out for a 6 week consultation period to local VA schools.

Curriculum & Standards. 

GS to email the Powerpoint presentation as mentioned on p3 of the minutes.

Finance;

Q) Is there space and money available to build an extra room(s)?

A)  Yes, looking at extending in to the courtyard outside the POD. 

Q)  How is spending against the budget?

A)  It is looking as if the budget is better than anticipated.  This is due to extra income received that hadn’t been anticipated.  It could be because of an increase in pupil numbers or a re-imbursement.

Community cohesion strategy.

JL really liked the document.  He suggested that the ethos be moved to p1.  Also to include out of hours activities on site such as the Kick London Academy on Sunday, Choi Kwang Do etc.  JL to send website link to SMSC to MM. 

 

 

RH

 

 

 

 

GS

 

 

 

GS

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

JL to MM 

 

 

ASAP

 

 

 

ASAP

 

 

 

 

ASAP

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ASAP

11.

Governor training.

Govs to inform LP once training completed.  All training should be refreshed every 3 years. LP has completed the SWLSEP Clerk’s Development Course.

   
12.

Any other business.

SD commended the school on the huge range of sporting activities available to the children.  Adding that it is very inclusive, the children and staff are very enthusiastic. She has a place in the 2016 London Marathon and would like to organise “HT runs a marathon” where each child would run 100m in aid of the NSPCC.  This could also include a similar event (with longer distances) for staff, parents and governors.        Signed;Date; Chair; Gerry Stride.

   
13.

Date of next meeting; Monday 25th January 2016 at 6.30pm 

   
  Signed Gerry Stride
Chair of Governors