How We Communicate

Holy Trinity CE Primary School

 

Governors’ meeting (GB)
Quorum (one half of the number of governors in post) Yes/No : YES
Chair: Gerry Stride Clerk: L. Prendergast (LP)
Date of Meeting: 25th January 2016 - 6.30pm

 


Attendance

 

Name Governor Associate Member Present/Absent/Apologies
Penny Cox (Head) (PC)   Present
Marie Ashton (MA)   Present
Suzie Durrant (SD)   Present
Trevor Patterson (TP)   Present
Geraldine Stride (GS)   Present
Lucy Ashby (LA)  √   Present
Robert Hawker (RH)

  Present
Tony Tresigne (AT)   Apologies (work commitment)
Niki Crookdake (NC)   Absent - apologies not rcvd.
Michele Marcus (MM)  √   Present
Claude Scott (CS)   Present
Andrew Gallini (AG)   Apologies (work commitment)
Joe Lowther (JL)   Present
Peter Frith   Present

 

Item

Minute Person(s) responsible for action (if any) Date to be completed
1.

Prayers were led by TP.

   
2. Apologies received from AG & AT    
  Peter Frith was welcomed as a new member of the governing body.    
3.

Declaration of Interest.

None

Declaration of Interest form to be returned by PF

 

 

PF

 

 

ASAP

4.

SEND Report.

Katie Hearsum (Inclusion manager) distributed a summary detailing the number of children with additional needs, the type of support they require, types of professionals used and amount of time spent with each child depending on need.

Q) How do you measure if support has made a change?

A) There are many discussions before a child is put on to the SEN register.  A child might not be put on if there is a short term fix that might help him/her.  Once a child is on the SEN register it follows them throughout their school career. Assessments and recommendations are made throughout the year as with all children.

Q) Are children helped when they move to secondary school?

A) Transition begins in year 5 and the secondary school is known for each child towards the end of February in Y6.  There are meetings with the new school and visits made by the child and their 1:1 support.

Q) As the government are aiming to reduce the number of EHCPs how are we as a school preparing for an increase in numbers, particularly with regard to finance?

A) The government has stated that the threshold won’t change and that each child with a Statement would get an EHCP, although it is hard to get new EHCPs through due to the local authority’s deficit.  We have to provide good evidence of how our delegated budget is spent – which is the case.  We also have a good reputation within the local authority for our SEN provision. 

MA joined the meeting.

KH and her team were praised and thanked for their work.

   
5.

Minutes of the 11th November meeting.

These were agreed and signed.

 

   
6.

Matters arising;

Comparative figures for attendance and a map of the school were distributed as requested.

 

 

 

7.

Admissions policy.

There was a lot of discussion following consultation about the proposed 2017-18 admissions policy.

PC was happy that there had been a number of responses from parents ranging from asking that the policy should remain as is in regard to the number of foundation places available and those that would like foundation places removed from the policy altogether.

Although the responses in support of maintaining the current policy outweighed those in favour of change, we have never been in the situation, at offer time, of needing more foundation places than those available.  It was also noted that all children that received a foundation place in September 2015 (5) would have received an offer based on distance any way.

Q)  Do we consult with the Church?

A)  Yes, the policy is checked and agreed by the SDBE legal department, and TP, as vicar of Holy Trinity, represents the views of the PCC.

Q)  How do we prove that we have consulted?

A) Emailing local VA schools, the Diocese and Local Authority with the proposals.  Telling the parents, and through minutes of meetings. As soon as it goes for consultation it is also put on the school website.

 

The following points were also raised

• There are local churches, outside our current distance for foundation places where members, even if they desired places, cannot apply.

• Is church attendance a sufficient measure?

• Holy Trinity School is both faith based and serves the local community

• If foundation places were removed the ethos wouldn’t be any different.

 

Although there was understanding of the letter asking for foundation places being withdrawn, it was felt that the governors could be relaxed that there has been integrity within the process, it has been well debated and the policy will be looked at in future (as it has been up to now) at the beginning of the autumn term as a point on the Governor’s Year Plan.

 

It was agreed that, at this stage, there were no grounds for review. A vote was therefore taken on the proposal to keep the policy as it is and revisit in the autumn term.

The proposal was unanimously agreed.  

    
8.

Statement on use of PE and Sports Premium.

LA distributed a copy which is also available on the school website. It was noted that the local authority have used our sports premium report as an exemplary piece of work.

Thanks were given to LA, Alex Auton (pe co-ordinator) and April Owens (finance officer) for their work on the report.

 

 

 

 

 

9.

Observers at FGB meetings.

Following a request from a parent to attend this meeting, GS asked the FGB what they feel about having parent observers at meetings. The general feeling was that whilst it is important to be open and transparent at the meetings, and there hadn’t been any problems in the past, there should be a protocol that any potential observers should be made aware of.

This would include a set period of time in advance of a meeting that the parent should ask to attend, being aware that they can’t make any comment or enter any discussions taking place, and that they might be asked to leave the meeting if a confidential matter is being discussed.

There was a request that a form be produced that the observer would sign to confirm that they agree with the above.

All FGB minutes are available on the school website once they have been agreed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

GS

 

 

 

 

 

Next mtg

10.

Head teacher’s report.

An amendment to the report was to add that Lee Reynolds has also been involved in NQT observations for the borough. The SDP and SEF would be updated in the second half of this term.

   
11.

Chair’s report.

GS encouraged the FGB to get in touch with Mandie Lambert (science co-ordinator) if they have any interest or knowledge in the subject.  She is leading in application for the Gold award.  This involves organising an outreach day which should make an impact on the local community.  Mandie is arranging a session with local cub groups to help them attain their Science Badge.  The provisional date is April 23rd.

SD added that Mandie teaches one of her children and thanked her for being so inspirational in the subject.

 

 

 

 

 

 

12.

SDP & SEF

This is all on track and will be updated as in item 10.

The SLT are very involved in Life Without Levels with local schools including setting up moderation sessions.  There would be data available during the summer term.

PC had meetings with interested parents to explain how it is working which had been positively received.

 

   
13.

Sub-committee minutes.

Safeguarding;

Q) What does 17,500 lunchtimes in the juniors mean?

A)  It is the total number of lunchtimes taken by all of the junior children in a term.  It put in to context that 1 in every 438 lunchtimes is a detention.

Q)  Why is there a spike at the end of term?

A)  Probably because the time table tends to change and the children and staff are usually very tired by then.  The SLT will look at how end of term changes are dealt with.

Personnel;

Q) In light of the Outstanding Ofsted and SIAMs inspections last year, is the 1 point uplift in PCs salary enough?

A) A lot of thought and discussion went in to the decision and it was decided that it was the correct one.

Q) How will the school celebrate Mrs Skivington and Mrs Fitzpatrick’s retirements?

A) This will be decided shortly – if any governors have any suggestions, please let PC know.

Finance;

Q)  Is the school likely to run out of money?

A)  No, but there is a very fine line between having too large an amount carried forward, keeping it for future needs, and potentially losing money if the local authority decide to take some back – which may be a possibility. The FGB were informed that PC has received an email from the Director of Finance to make her aware that the school is currently spending more on salaries than we are receiving for staff.  She was aware of this, and it is part of a plan to do so because we have other funds and children that need use of it.  This may have to stop at some point in the next 3 years.  There is also a building plan which is expected to go ahead as this has already been budgeted for.

 

 

Any govs

 

 

ASAP

14.

Training.

Govs should let LP know once any training has been completed.

   
15.

Any other business.

GS has received an email from the Chair of the PTA asking for ideas on how the PTA can help with the “Involve and Inspire” theme for this year.  After discussion it was agreed that the govs are happy with PC’s discussions with the Chair and, as the governors’ role is strategic rather than operational, it isn’t within their remit to advise how PTA funds should be sent.

   
13.

Date of next meeting; Monday 25th January 2016 at 6.30pm 

   
  Signed Gerry Stride
Chair of Governors
 

 


 

Holy Trinity CE Primary School

 

Governors’ meeting (GB)
Quorum (one half of the number of governors in post) Yes/No : YES
Chair: Gerry Stride Clerk: L. Prendergast (LP)
Date of Meeting: 30th September 2015 - 6.30pm

 


Attendance

 

Name Governor Associate Member Present/Absent/Apologies
Penny Cox (Head) (PC)   Present
Marie Ashton (MA)   Present
Suzie Durrant (SD)   Present
Trevor Patterson (TP)   Present
Geraldine Stride (GS)   Present
Lucy Ashby (LA)  √   Present
Robert Hawker (RH)

  Present
Tony Tresigne (AT)   Present
Niki Crookdake (NC)   Present
Michele Marcus (MM)  √   Present
Claude Scott (CS)   Present
Andrew Gallini (AG)   Present

 

Item

Minute Person(s) responsible for action (if any) Date to be completed
1.

 Prayers were led by TP.

   
2.  Apologies received and accepted from AT, SD and MM – details above.    
3.

 LP was re-appointed as clerk

   
4. Harry James (former Chair) was invited.  He was thanked by GS on behalf of the FGB, staff and whole school community for his hard work over the years. Although not Chair last year, he had played a great part in the strength of the FBG as acknowledged in the recent Ofsted report.  There was a presentation of a bottle of champagne.Declaration of interest forms were distributed and returned during the course of the evening. Forms to be completed by 2 of the governors not present.     
5. Declaration of interest forms were distributed and returned during the course of the evening. Forms to be completed by 2 of the governors not present.  AT & MM  ASAP
6.

LA nominated GS as Chair and MM as Vice Chair.  There were no further nominations and both governors were unanimously elected.

   
7.

Minutes of the 29th June meeting. These were agreed and signed.

   
8.

 Matters arising. Item 7.  There was a new agenda format for this meeting.  GS requested any suggested changes or amendments as govs wished. Item 9.  Dates for sub committee meetings for this academic year have been received by LP for the safeguarding and community cohesion committees. Others to follow asap. 

 All govs.

 

Chairs of cttees.

 As necessary

 

By return.

9.

 Sub-committee terms of reference. These are the same as last year apart from safeguarding health and safety and 1 amendment to be added to finance. All committee ToR’s were agreed with the amendments.

   
10.

 Sub-committee membership. GS felt that it was a great advantage during the Ofsted inspection to have experienced governors in post in committees.  There had been no requests by any governors to change which committees they are on, although any governor can attend any committee meeting as an observer. The committee memberships were agreed.

   
11.

Governor responsibilities. These were agreed with the suggestion that all governors should meet their subject staff co-ordinator twice a year as best practice. 

   
12.

 Code of conduct. No need to for governors to re-sign as it hasn’t changed from last year.  GS to arrange for JL to sign.

 GS  
13.

 Head teacher’s report. PC gave huge thanks for the strength of the governing body including their depth of knowledge and understanding of the school.  She reiterated how important it is to continue to drive forward and use the Ofsted judgement to carry on with confidence.   A primary school from Southampton had already spent the day here this term to see how we work. There is an action plan being put into place about barriers to learning that some children might think they have and how they can be helped to overcome these.  The school improvement partner is very interested in this piece of work. Q)  Why is maths not in the SDP? A)  Although there had been a blip in the year before last’s results, last year’s results were back on track so no focus in the SDP was felt necessary. Q)  With regard to “life without levels”, will there be a number or point that relates to previous levels to use as a baseline / starting point? A)  There are 2 very different systems in place but each child will be given a starting point.  There will be an update on life without levels as an agenda item at the next meeting. Q)  Now that the school has achieved the Outstanding Ofsted rating, what’s next?  How do we keep standards high? A)  There has always been high expectations of excellent teaching and learning and this will continue.  Teachers have their programme of appraisal and targets for their own professional development.  There is a lot of training available, and we have a link with a school in Sussex that needs help and support.  This will highlight some cpd opportunities.  The children will continue to have their “pupil voice” where they can say how they would like the school to move forward.

   
14.

 Chair’s Report. Thanks to all governors that came in for the Ofsted interview – a record number according to the SDBE. Q)  How do we recognise the efforts and talents of staff? A)  A card signed by GS and MM was sent to every member of staff at the end of last term. Subject leaders will be given the opportunity to give a short briefing about their subject if they would like to at a future FGB meeting.

 PC  Will advise teachers.
15.

 Year Plan. This was a work in progress last year and it is on-going.  It is very helpful for agenda planning.  GS to re-send.  Request for govs to email Chair if they notice any omissions, errors etc.

 GS  ASAP
  Sub committee minutes. Personnel; Q)  Why are there still nursery places available? A)  There are currently 2 afternoon places available.  It was thought parents are choosing to use their 15 hours funded place with private nurseries that can give a whole days care.  The places will be filled by siblings in January if not before. Y1 has an additional child making the intake 61 altogether as part of the Fair Access Protocol which all Richmond schools have signed up to.    
16. Training. A reminder to let LP know once any training has been completed.  There is a lot on offer via the SDBE, AfC and GEL.    
17. 

Any other business.

Date of next meeting: Monday 30th Noverber at 6.30pm

   
  Signed Gerry Stride
Chair of Governors
 

 


 

Holy Trinity CE Primary School

 

Governors’ meeting (GB)
Quorum (one half of the number of governors in post) Yes/No : YES
Chair: Gerry Stride Clerk: L. Prendergast (LP)
Date of Meeting: 29th June 2015 - 6.15pm

 


Attendance

 

Name Governor Associate Member Present/Absent/Apologies
Penny Cox (Head) (PC)   Present
Marie Ashton (MA)   Present
Suzie Durrant (SD)   Present
Trevor Patterson (TP)   Absent.  Apologies not received.
Geraldine Stride (GS)   Present
Lucy Ashby (LA)  √   Present
Robert Hawker (RH)

  Present
Tony Tresigne (AT)   Apologies (work commitment)
Niki Crookdake (NC)   Present
Michele Marcus (MM)  √   Present
Claude Scott (CS)   Present
Andrew Gallini (AG)   Apologies (daughter unwell)

 

Item

Minute Person(s) responsible for action (if any) Date to be completed
1.

 1. Prayers were led by GS.

   
2.  Apologies received and accepted from AT and AG.    
3.

 Declarations of Interest. None.

   
4.  School council report. Mr Daniel O’Sullivan (year 5 teacher) read out the presentation that had been written by the Chair of the school council as the representatives hadn’t arrived.  It detailed how the council works and what they had been discussing this year.  The Chair arrived. Q)  How is the Chair elected? A)  Each class elects 2 representatives and a Chair is then elected from those representatives. The Chair was congratulated on his report and the council’s work this year.    
5.

PTA report. Wayne Phillips (WP – Treasurer) and Jackie Marie (JM – Chair) were welcomed to the meeting.  They read a report detailing the year in summary (attached). The main focus currently is new storage for the PTA and new equipment for the playground. It was noted how well the PTA structure had worked this year and huge thanks was given to the whole PTA team from PC on behalf of the children and GS on behalf of the governors.

   
6.

 Minutes of the 11th May meeting. These were agreed as correct and signed.

   
7.

 Matters arising. Item 8.  Although the volume of papers wasn’t discussed at the Steering Committee meeting, it was felt that there had been less distributed recently.  There was discussion surrounding the format of the agenda with requests for the documents sent to be linked to agenda items so that govs could be sure that they had received everything.  GS to look at a new format going forward. AG still to sign committee meeting minutes. Item 10.  MA stated that there wasn’t anything to add to the maths and sports reports. GS invited any interested governors to the next Curriculum and Standards meeting on 13th July at 6.30pm where data will be discussed.  The minutes of this meeting will be sent out before the end of term.                 

  GS AG        Next mtg. ASAP    
8.

Assessment, progress and targets. As the KS2 SAT’s results haven’t arrived yet PC gave a brief résumé based on teacher assessments for year 6. Data, including SAT’s results will be discussed thoroughly at the meeting on 13th July as mentioned above.   The phonics test results are in line with last year and in-year progress looks very strong, an excellent result given the profile of the children. A focus for next year will be reading for one of the year 5 classes. The year 6 teacher assessments have exceeded the targets for reading and writing. Reading, writing & maths (TA) – level 4 – 90%  target was 87% Putting us with top 25% of schools nationally level 5 – 40%  target was 43% Putting us with top 20% of schools with similar cohorts PC is running 2 parent’s data information sessions on 15th July at 2 and 8pm.  All govs invited if they wish to attend.

   
9.

 Committee reports. Safeguarding.  Q)  Has a complaint against a member of staff been resolved? A)  Yes. SD thanked PC for the quality of the safeguarding assembly she had delivered recently. Finance.  In order to meet the projected budget over the next 3 years changes had been made to staff costs and depreciation. More experienced teachers have been recruited and some teaching assistants that are leaving are not being replaced.  Q)  Does this mean that some classes will not have a dedicated teaching assistant? A) Yes, some may work across year groups, but PC is confident that this will not affect the quality of teaching and learning.  Teaching assistants will no longer cover PPA time – this will be covered by dedicated PPA cover teachers. The budget is in line with last year’s 3 year forecast. The budget was unanimously approved. Clerk requested that all Chairs sign and return their approved minutes and that she is informed of the committee meeting dates for 2015-16 as early as possible once set.

Chairs of cttees.   Ongoing.
10.

Head teacher’s report. (Including Item 12 Update on five year plan) PC gave a verbal report – (summary attached).

   
11.

Chair’s Report. GS formally welcomed JL to the FGB.  She also thanked the governors for completing the 360 degree report and for the positive comments received. The governors’ self-evaluation questionnaire was distributed.  The clerk has also sent this electronically.  Responses to GS by Wednesday 13th July please.  There will be a report on the outcomes at the next meeting. The governor year plan (Item 13)

GS   Next mtg.
12.

 Update on five year plan Included in head teacher’s report

   
13.

Governor year plan GS reported that this would be complete once the curriculum & standards committee had looked at the progress and assessment update including the SAT’s results

   
14.

Governor training. All govs to keep clerk updated with any training undertaken.  Also asked to be aware that training should be updated every 3 years (2 for safeguarding lead).

   
15.

Any other business. Two parents have made a film at school “A day in the life of Holy Trinity”.  This will be shown to the pupils on Friday and at the summer social on Saturday.  It will also be put on the website. Dates of full governors meetings for 2015-16: Wednesday 30th September Monday 30th November Monday 25th January Monday 14th March Monday 9th May Monday 27th June all at 6.30pm

   
  Signed: Gerry Stride, Chair of Governors    

 


 

Holy Trinity CE Primary School

 

Governors’ meeting (GB)
Quorum (one half of the number of governors in post) Yes/No : YES
Chair: Gerry Stride Clerk: L. Prendergast (LP)
Date of Meeting: 11th May 2015 -6.15pm

 


Attendance

 

Name Governor Present/Absent/Apologies
Penny Cox (Head) (PC) Present
Marie Ashton (MA) Present
Suzie Durrant (SD) Present
Trevor Patterson (TP) Present
Geraldine Stride (GS) Present
Lucy Ashby (LA)  √ Present
Robert Hawker (RH) Present
Tony Tresigne (AT) Present
Niki Crookdake (NC) Present
Michele Marcus (MM)  √ Present
Claude Scott (CS) Present
Andrew Gallini (AG) Apologies (daughter unwell)

         Mrs Kate Patterson (KP) - school Chaplain and Mr Joe Lowther (parent) were also present.

Item

Minute Person(s) responsible for action (if any) Date to be completed
1.

 Prayers were led by Mrs Patterson.

   
2.

Chaplain’s Report.

KP discussed her role. She stated that there is a strong connection between Holy Trinity Church (HTC) and school. Her role is a pastoral one – listening rather than counselling, but referring on to counsellors if requested or necessary. Children and staff are also seen for a confidential conversation. Kate did comment that space is sometimes an issue and a dedicated area would be helpful but she appreciates that space is at a premium.

Kate is also involved in school worship planning – devising a series of “Unlikely heroes in the Bible”, also assisting with RE lessons and visits that the children make to Holy Trinity Church.   Parenting classes have also been run, both at school and HTC and will continue going forward.AT joined the meeting.

KP continued that she is working with Karis Kids which is also supported by the school, she will be visiting there in the summer and will meet up with Brian who has been sponsored through his education for a number of years now. She will be running a stall at the summer fair where children can make friendship bracelets to take on her trip.

Q) Does the chaplain have a voice on the school website?

A) Yes, and there is also a link to Karis Kids and HTC.

Q) Does she work with families of other, or no faith?

A) There are regular notices in the weekly newsletter so any parent can get in touch, and any child in school can speak to the chaplain.

   
3.

Joe Lowther was introduced to the GB as a prospective foundation governor. He spoke briefly about his family and employment history.

   
4. Apologies were received and accepted for AG.    
5.

RE & Worship report.

GS explained how RE is taught including the year plan and assessment process that has been devised by Mrs Trought (RE Co-ordinator).PC discussed the SIAM’s Toolkit. This is a document giving very detailed information of every aspect of RE teaching, worship and our Christian distinctiveness. It is a working document that governors should be aware of and can be sent on request.

Q) What is the difference in how RE is taught at Holy Trinity compared to a non-Church school?

A) Not very much. RE is a statutory subject. Maintained schools would have a weekly RE lesson with a majority Christian input and daily acts of worship. Holy Trinity might spend a little longer each week on these lessons.Thanks was given to Mrs Trought for the quality and quantity of work that she has done with the subject.

Q) Does Godly Play work for boys – particularly those with autism?

A) Yes, they are well supported in the lessons. Individual children decide how they want to participate. It can be just listening, playing, with art or working quietly. Boys are equally as positive about Godly Play as girls.KP and Joe Lowther left the meeting.

 Any govs.  If requested.
6.

Declaration of Interest.

There were no declarations of interest.

   
7.

Minutes of 23rd March meeting.

These were agreed with a correction and signed by the Chair.

   
8.

Matters arising.

Item 5. AG has sent his statement for the website.

Item 7. AT explained that the 3 year budget will be tight, with depreciation protected for major assets of the school.

Item 8. The volume of paperwork distributed for this meeting had been significantly reduced. Chair looking at ways to reduce this further, and will discuss with the steering committee later on in the term.

Unsigned committee meeting minutes were distributed to Chairs for signature. AG still to sign as absent.

Q) Request that the agenda be more specific about any reports that will be given verbally so that govs are not searching for them.Item 9. PC and GS attended the meeting about multi academy trusts (MAT) and reported on the various ways that they could operate. Some already exist in Richmond and it was reported that there is to be an open consultation about Richmond Park Academy forming a MAT with other local primary schools (not HT). Concerns have been raised about reduced access at RPA for our children if this happens. The date for the consultation will be distributed when it is known. The Diocese is also looking at the impact MATs might have.

Item 10. The figures have been added to the pay policy.

Item 13. TP has run the marathon to fund raise for the Karis Kids Charity.

   
9.

Equality Objectives Review.

LA read the objectives to the meeting. They were agreed and will be distributed with these minutes.

   
10.

Curriculum reports.

GS has included a summary with the papers for this meeting but is happy to send full reports to any governors that ask.MA and AT to add relevant points from their maths and sports reports respectively.AT talked through the sports report. There is a lot more sport taking place throughout the school. The pe co-ordinator (Alex Auton) is entering the school for the Gold Kite mark, which is an aspirational target. Thanks noted to Alex and Helen Lascaris from last year for their excellent work and also the dedication of the support staff and impact of including sport in the SDP.

 MA and AT  ASAP
11.

Committee reports.

Personnel update; A Deputy Inclusion Manager has been appointed and will begin on a 0.8 contract in September.

   
12.

Head teacher’s report.

PC has met with all of the support staff. There are a couple of vacancies in the Kingfisher Club and a teaching post to recruit for September.

   
13.

Chair’s report.

The governor’s action plan had been distributed following recommendations from the SIAMs and Governor Mark reports.MM is to distribute a 360 degree review questionnaire about GSs performance. GS requested that all governors respond honestly and punctually.KCW has resigned as a governor for personal reasons. Joe Lowther will be welcomed to the GB if it is agreed at the next PCC meeting. There will then still be one foundation governor vacancy (HT PCC).There was a request that all governor’s newsletters could be 'ParentMailed' to parents in future.

   
14.

Governor’s Year Plan.

All up to date for this term so far.

   
15. Any other business.PC is running 2 data information sessions for parents on Wednesday 15th July in the day and evening.    
 16. Date of next meeting Monday 29th June at 6.15pm.  
  Signed Gerry Stride
Chair of Governors
 

 


 

Holy Trinity CE Primary School

 

Governors’ meeting (GB)
Quorum (one half of the number of governors in post) Yes/No : YES
Chair: Gerry Stride Clerk: L. Prendergast (LP)
Date of Meeting: 23rd March 2015 - 6.15pm

 


Attendance

 

Name Governor Associate Member Present/Absent/Apologies
Penny Cox (Head) (PC)   Present
Marie Ashton (MA)   Present
Suzie Durrant (SD)   Apologies (unwell)
Trevor Patterson (TP)   Present
Geraldine Stride (GS)   Present
Lucy Ashby (LA)   Apologies (unwell)
Robert Hawker (RH)   Present
Tony Tresigne (AT)   Apologies (work commitments)
Niki Crookdake (NC)   Present
Michele Marcus (MM)   Present
Claude Scott (CS)   Present
Andrew Gallini (AG)   Apologies (family commitments)
Kate Chalker-Wye (KCW)     Present

         Mr Julian Allbut was also present as an observer.

 

* Tick box where appropriate

Item

Minute Person(s) responsible for action (if any) Date to be completed
1.

 Prayers   were led by TP   

   
2.  Apologies   were heard on behalf of those governors not attending.      
3.

 There   were no declarations of interest.       

   
4.  The   minutes of the 26th January meeting were agreed and signed.    
5.

Matters arising. Item   5. AG still to send his statement for   the website. LA to follow up. Item   11. The sports statement has been put   on to the website.

 LA  ASAP  – 3rd request.
6.

Assessment, progress   and targets.

GS   thanked NC on behalf of the GB for all of the hard week and depth of   information contained in the performance data document.NC   talked through the document.PC   reported that she is currently undertaking some investigations into how the   school can support any families fill any gaps with numeracy work at home   using computer apps and software etc.

Q) The data states 21% of children in year 1   having SEN, what sort of SEN is this?

A) Mainly autistic,   speech and language, some undiagnosed at present. On   page 12 it states years 1 and 4 are below 50% of targeted progress in   reading. The number of children with autism in year 1 had impacted reading   and writing which has affected year 1 results.

Q) What is the reason   behind the dip in year 4?

A) This is a high   achieving year group therefore the demands are more complex. The data is being scrutinised again.

Q) Does one teacher mark each year groups books?

A) Marking books are moderated by the subject   co-ordinators, senior leadership team and sometimes externally by teachers   from other local schools. There will   also be moderation next term in science and early years baseline data.

Q) Who does the   moderation of science in years 2, 4 and 6?

A) A local authority   co-ordinator of science.The   depth of analysis helps staff to be specific in targeting interventions that   are needed. There is strong evidence   of very good progress being made having set high standards.

Q) How does this impact   every teacher?

A) Each individual   child has a record on Target Tracker so that teachers can closely monitor   progress.

Q) With the new   curriculum how will the greater demands be achieved when there are no extra   hours and more expected of the children? Will standards dip?

A) Nationally standards   probably will dip initially but our expectations are already higher which   will create uplift. 

GS   thanked PC and all staff involved in both work and tracking of children’s progress.

   
7.

Finance

The 3 year plan had been distributed. By the end of year 3 there should be a verysmall surplus following 3 annual overspends. The main drivers of this are; an increased number of children with statements following changes to how SEN is funded and fewer children receiving pupil premium funding. There has also been a generous amount allocated to depreciation.The budget will be looked at following the forthcoming general election if there is any change to school funding.The finance committee will re-examine the amount put aside for depreciation and report back to the next meeting.It was requested by the finance officer – April Owens that all quotes are sent to her as a matter of course.

 AT  Next mtg.
8.

Committee and named governor reports.

There was a request to look at the seemingly ever increasing number of documents sent out before each GB meeting to see if this could be reduced.PC and GS are looking at ways that sub-committees can work more effectively. Any changes will be discussed and finalised by the Steering Committee.Clerk requested that all minutes that are agreed at the beginning of committee meetings are signed at the time and left on her desk.

  GS & PC    

Chairs of committees.

 Next mtg.    

 

Ongoing.

9.

Head teacher’s report.

Following a recent locality meeting it has been agreed to have a moderating and benchmarking process next year amongst local schools. A project manager will be appointed to arrange and co-ordinate events from locality funding.PC and GS to attend a meeting regarding multi academy trusts. Will report back at the next meeting.

GS thanked PC and the religious education (RE) co-ordinator, Jenny Trought for the amount and quality of work undertaken for the recent SIAMS inspection. RE to be included in the governor’s year plan for next year.

Q) Following the exclusion of a child from the enhanced provision, were there still problems in this area?A) It was a fixed term exclusion which triggered a meeting with SEN management at the local authority amongst others to review the child’s needs. The local authority and school have put in additional support.The post of Deputy Inclusion Manager will be re-advertised after Easter.

 PC/GS  Next mtg.
10.

Pay Policy.

The pay panel has been upgraded to pay committee because of the importance of its workload.On page 6 of the policy there were some figures to be added and PC to check with the local authority if the unions have been consulted about the document.It was unanimously agreed that the policy be adopted subject to the addition of figures on page 6 and clarification of union consultation.

 PC  Next mtg.
11.

Governor’s Year Plan.

This is up to date. There will be a few additions for next term in light of recommendations of the SIAMS inspection report.

   
12.

Training.

Please update clerk once any training has been completed.

   
13.

Any other business.

TP is running a marathon to raise money for Karis Kids Charity. TP to send sponsorship link to govs.

 TP  ASAP
14.

 Date of next meeting.

Monday 11th May at 6.15pm.  
  Signed Gerry Stride
Chair of Governors
 

 


 

H.T Newspaper

 

Welcome to the Spring 2017 edition of Kingfisher Frenzy!

 

We hope you enjoy the next edition of our school newspaper Kingfisher Frenzy which we’ve written for all the pupils, parents, teachers and governors at Holy Trinity School Richmond. We have great fun dreaming up all the ideas and writing the stories, we hope you have as much pleasure reading it.