Newsletters

Holy Trinity CE Primary School

 

Governors’ meeting (GB)

Quorum (one half of the number of governors in post)     Yes/No : YES

Chair: H. James
Clerk: L. Prendergast

 

Date of Meeting: 25th March 2013 - 6.15pm

 

 

 

Attendance

Name

Governor

Associate Member

Present/Absent/Apologies

Harry James (HJ)

ü

 

Present

Penny Cox (Head) (PC)

P

 

Present

Marie Ashton (MA)

ü

 

Present

Alex Ridall (AR)

ü

 

Present

Trevor Patterson (TP)

ü

 

Present

Geraldine Stride (GS)

ü

 

Present

Lee Jerwood (LJ)

P

 

Present

Morag Lucas (ML)

P

 

Apologies (family reasons)

Lucy Ashby (LA)

 

P

Present

Robert Hawker (RH)

P

 

Apologies (work commitments)

Tony Tresigne (AT)

P

 

Present

Niki Crookdake (NC)

P

 

Present

Michele Marcus (MM)

 

P

Present

Claude Scott (CS)

P

 

Present

Kate Chalker-Wye (KCW)

P

 

Present

Andrew Gallini (AG)

P

 

Present

 

Item

Minute

Person(s) responsible for action (if any)

Date to be completed

1.

Prayers were led by GS.

   

2.

There were no declarations of interest.

   

3.

HJ confirmed a change in future agenda presentation. There will now be up to 4 key priorities taken from the School Development Plan (SDP) as a focus for each meeting.

   

4.

The minutes of the 4th February meeting were agreed and signed.

   

5.

Matters Arising;

Item 4. #3   RH still converting policies.

Item 5. Re; authorisation of holidays during term time. PC had included the following academic year’s term dates in a newsletter, requesting that holidays are not booked in term time. This will be repeated during the summer term. Those children whose attendance falls below 80% receive a letter requesting a meeting.

PC had met with a consultant who had reported that the current assessment procedure is working well and shows effective teaching and good progress being made.

The secure area of the school website is up and running and can be accessed by going to the Communications / Information for Governors section and entering the password that had been distributed at the meeting.

Item 8. PC will note in the school newsletter when all policies are available for parents to view on the school website.

RH

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PC

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When

applicable

6.

Head teacher’s report.

Looking at teaching and learning, there had been focussed training for staff in the first half of term and performance management for teachers had been brought forward with staff making their own action plans. This had happened before lesson observations and so far all had been graded as “good”.

TP joined the meeting.

Q: Approximately 80% of KS1 pupils are on target to reach the expected level of progress. Was this a concern?

A: The target had been set by the Curriculum Committee last year for pupils to make 2 sub levels of progress and not all pupils will meet the target.     The 100% target set this year was seen as being aspirational.

As teacher’s movement through the pay scale is now directly linked to pupil progress, PC requested that the personnel committee give much thought to this when making the annual pay increments.

Q; Are those teachers with pupils missing their targets fully supported?

A; Yes, there has been a focus on insets on teaching and learning and money has been spent on extra literacy and numeracy resources to support the teacher’s lessons.

Q; What is being done to get observations graded as “outstanding”?

A; The focus at the moment is to get all of the observations graded as good as a matter of course with the target of being able to grade a number of lessons as outstanding before the end of the summer term. The criteria for an outstanding lesson is extremely rigid. LA to put the document explaining the criteria for an outstanding lesson on the governor’s portal on the website.

PC gave a presentation on literacy, including the resources in use. This included Jolly Phonics cards, puppets and multi sensory books. The GB were shown examples of children’s learning journals and handwriting books.

From year 1 the children are also taught the Jolly Grammar scheme and the year 6 children now have a grammar and spelling test included in their end of year tests.

Intervention groups are in place for all those that require them.

Q; Can class work and homework be put into the same book so that parents’ can see the work going on in class and how it relates to homework?

A; The staff are happy with how things are at the moment with set days for homework to go home and be returned. It was also felt that some children might forget to bring the book back into school and it might also get damaged at home. The children take great pride in their learning journal and parents are encouraged to look at them before parent / teacher meetings held each term.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

LA

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Next mtg

7.

Chair’s Report.

There will be a meeting for all governors on Monday 1st July at 6pm to look at data.

HJ to send notes from Leading the Way meeting for governors input as they feel necessary.

In future Aiming High minutes will be attached to the Curriculum Committee minutes.

HJ

asap

8.

Committee Reports.

Finance.

The draft budget has been set and is in a healthy position due to good management in the past when pupil numbers were low.

SEN report.

HJ had met with LJ and highlighted the fantastic progress made by the children with additional needs.   This was due to new systems bedding in well. LJ was thanked for his work who in turn praised his committed team.

Health & Safety.

Q: What is being done about the slippery surface in the infant playground?

A; PC had been to a number of schools to inspect alternative surfaces that can be used in all weathers. Will report back at the next meeting.

Curriculum.

An attainment and progress spreadsheet had been distributed. NK asked for any feedback or requests for additional information to be included in the future to be emailed to her or GS.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PC

Govs

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Next meeting

As necessary

9.

Governor’s Plan.

This is complete and up to date. HJ requested that if there is anything that seems to be a focus at the wrong time of year, to let him know.

   

10

Training.

Clerk will now record all govs training. Governors to let her know when any has been completed, sending a copy of the certificate when presented / printed (if GEL online).

Govs

As necessary

11.

Any other business.

The recent year 5 residential to High Ashurst had been very successful. It is hoped to be an annual event.

 

12.

Date of next meeting; Monday 29th April   at 6.15pm

 

 

13.

Signed;

 

Chair; Harry James

H.T newspaper

 

Governor Meetings

Governor Meetings

The full governing body (FGB) meetings this academic year are being held as follows;

Monday 26th June at 6.30pm

If you would like to attend a FGB meeting as an observer, please This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. the clerk; Mrs Louise Prendergast 
(This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) with your request at least 2 weeks in advance of the meeting, giving your reason for wanting to attend. We will let you know if it's appropriate to attend. All minutes are available on the website.

View Our Gallery