Newsletters

Holy Trinity CE Primary School

 

Governors’ meeting (GB)

Quorum (one half of the number of governors in post)     Yes/No : YES

Chair: H. James
Clerk: L. Prendergast

 

Date of Meeting: 29th April 2013 - 6.15pm

 

 

 

Attendance

Name

Governor

Associate Member

Present/Absent/Apologies

Harry James (HJ)

ü

 

Present

Penny Cox (Head) (PC)

P

 

Present

Marie Ashton (MA)

ü

 

Present

Alex Ridall (AR)

ü

 

Present

Trevor Patterson (TP)

ü

 

Present

Geraldine Stride (GS)

ü

 

Present

Lee Jerwood (LJ)

P

 

Present

Morag Lucas (ML)

P

 

Present

Lucy Ashby (LA)

 

P

Present

Robert Hawker (RH)

P

 

Present

Tony Tresigne (AT)

P

 

Present

Niki Crookdake (NC)

P

 

Apologies (work commitments)

Michele Marcus (MM)

 

P

Present

Claude Scott (CS)

P

 

Present

Kate Chalker-Wye (KCW)

P

 

Present

Andrew Gallini (AG)

P

 

Present

 

Observing; Mrs Tompkins, Mr Walsh, Mr Haarhoff. (see item 2)

 

Item

Minute

Person(s) responsible for action (if any)

Date to be completed

1.

Prayers were led by TP.

   

2.

Presentation by School Council.

Four members of the school council; Sophie Tompkins, Daniel Haarhoff, Harriet Hutchen and Parker Walsh spoke to the GB. They explained that there is a boy and girl member for each junior year group.   Each child that wants to become a member has to write a speech and then a vote is taken.

This process happens in the autumn term each year, and a child can be elected for more than one year.

The members asked the GB a number of questions regarding how they became members, how long they serve for, did they enjoy being a governor, who was the longest serving.

The GB asked the children a number of questions, including; what changes would they like to see at school? (A zip wire)!

The children had also made an action plan showing ideas the school council had, how much it would cost to implement them, and ideas for a school council motto.

The GB thanked the school council for attending, and the quality and amount of work they have been doing.

The school council members and their parent observers left the meeting.

   

3.

Declaration of Interest.

There were no declarations of interest.

   

4.

The minutes of the 25th March meeting were agreed with a request from AG to add a question.

Clerk / AG

asap

5.

Matters arising;

Item 4 #3. RH to complete in the next two weeks.

Item 6. LA has put the School Development Plan (SDP), School Evaluation Form (SEF) and criteria for judging outstanding lessons on to the website. LA to redistribute the password.

Item 7. The Aiming High minutes were attached to the curriculum minutes.

Item 8. PC has been to some other schools to inspect their sports pitches and quotes are still being gathered. Will report back at next meeting.

Training. HJ to distribute a table of information detailing where governors can get information and training.

RH

 

 

 

LA

 

 

PC

 

 

HJ

In 2 weeks.

 

 

 

Asap

 

 

Next meeting.

 

 

Next mtg.

6.

Head Teacher’s Report.

PC reported that the focus remains on teaching and learning. Observations will continue throughout the term.

Q: Is there a reason for the increase in unauthorised absence?

A: Yes, there had been a number of families that went on holiday before the end of term. Absence is only authorised for illness, medical appointments or exceptional family circumstances.

Re; A3 on the agenda.

There is a sports committee consisting of staff, governors and parents. A strategy has been put together with the fitness of pupils being the focus. Coaching will be centered on sports that are played at borough level.

The girl’s football club has gone from 1 member to 26 over a term, with some really keen girls coming up through the year groups.

On an average week there are 220 attendees at some sort of sporting before or after school activity.

The homework topic for the last half term was to record a series of exercises over the weeks to measure the improvement of the children’s fitness levels. The results are currently being entered and analysed.

Q: How is the winning and losing in competitions handled?

A; It is felt that it is important that those children and teams that do well in sport are congratulated in the same way as those that do well in other subjects are. The children are also recognised for their effort and achievement when they don’t win.

There is a meeting at school on May 15th for parents, governors, and staff to discuss the redevelopment of the school field. All welcome.

Re; A4 on the agenda.

There are a number of ongoing strategies to ensure the children are being challenged in all areas of the curriculum including training during staff meetings, inset days and there are targeted before/during school maths, chess and literacy groups.

PC has held an evening parent information session explaining ways that they can challenge their children at home. It had been well received and will be repeated at a later date. LA to put the booklet that has been produced to support this on the website.

PC to report after the next assessment cycle if the children that have had the extra input had made more than usual progress, which would be the expected outcome.

Pupil Premium.

The school receives extra funding for each pupil that is entitled to free school meals. The Aiming High Committee (PC, GS and NC) will be conducting analysis of what is working nationally to close the gap between those children that received a fsm and those that don’t. Currently 80% of those entitled to a fsm are below the national average of the Early Years Foundation Stage Profile (EYFSP).   A number of options are currently being discussed to put in place for September and PC will report back at the next meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

LA

 

 

PC

 

 

PC

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Next mtg.

 

  

Next mtg.

7.

Committee Reports.

Premises. The school hall floor is starting to crumble. So far there has been a quote to replace of £20k. Other quotes will be sought, but £5k per year will be built into the asset management plan for the next four years to pay for it. In the meantime, the caretaker will make small repairs and re-polish.

Curriculum. HJ to let curriculum committee know in advance when a report is needed for a subject at the next GB meeting.

 

 

 

 

HJ

 

 

 

 

As needed

8.

Governor’s Plan.

Although this hadn’t been distributed prior to the meeting, HJ confirmed that all action points were up to date.

HJ requested that if any committee chairs had any ideas or suggestions to change or improve the plan, to please let him know.

   

9.

Clerk’s update.

A request for governors to keep clerk updated when they have completed training. Also to visit www.tengovernor.com.

Term dates for 2013-14 and 2014-15 were ratified.

   

10

Date of next meeting; Monday 24th June   at 6.15pm

 

 

 

11.

Signed;

 

Chair; Harry James

H.T newspaper

 

Governor Meetings

Governor Meetings

The full governing body (FGB) meetings this academic year are being held as follows;

Monday 26th June at 6.30pm

If you would like to attend a FGB meeting as an observer, please This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. the clerk; Mrs Louise Prendergast 
(This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) with your request at least 2 weeks in advance of the meeting, giving your reason for wanting to attend. We will let you know if it's appropriate to attend. All minutes are available on the website.

View Our Gallery